It is normal to crave food occasionally. The craving is usually for a specific type of food and not just anything to stop the hunger.
Most of the time the cravings are for something that will put sugar or carbohydrates into the body, cravings for sweets, chocolate or crisps are common.
These types of food cravings are caused by biological reasons and to beat these cravings we must learn what these reasons are.
When we are tired or depressed we tend to have low blood sugar that the body signals to the brain that it needs something to wake it up. We feel this as a craving.
Unfortunately sugar or carbohydrates only releases a small amount of serotonin, our feel good hormone. Once this has been used up the craving returns.
Adrenal fatigue is another reason for cravings. When we are stressed or feel run down for no real reason you are suffering from adrenal fatigue.
With adrenal fatigue the body sends a signal to the brain that it needs a pick-me-up. This will be a craving for sugar or carbohydrate snack. It might even be coffee during the day or alcohol in the night.
Those that keep themselves on a low fat, low carbohydrate diet for a long time or have been taking appetite suppressants do have food cravings. This is because they have become partially insulin resistant.
Blood sugar levels in the body are usually kept stable with insulin. Insulin sends signals to the cells in the body to absorb glucose from the blood when needed.
Due to the insulin resistant condition, the cells do not respond to this request and do not absorb the glucose that is needed.
A distress signal is sent to the brain asking for carbohydrates or sugar. This results in the body receiving excess calories that are deposited as fat. The person starts gaining weight despite eating less.
How to beat your food cravings?
If you can learn the basic reason for the craving then you can beat the food cravings.
To break the food cravings you need to eat healthy food, moderate exercise will also help. This process may take a while but you will succeed in the end.
Other ways you can use to beat your food cravings include:
- Distracting yourself; read a book or watch a favourite film
- Remove yourself; if you are craving a particular food. Either remove yourself or the food
- Destroy the temptation; if you have foods you know trigger your cravings then you need to remove them from your life
- Eat some nuts; they are full of protein that can curb your cravings quickly, just eat with moderation
- Relieve stress; stress can cause food cravings so take steps to remove stress from your life
- Brush your teeth; not only will the taste ruin any foods but you most likely wont want bits of food stuck in your teeth immediately after either
Food cravings can ruin your weight loss efforts, but hopefully you have learnt a few techniques to help deal with any future food cravings.