If you are overweight and are desperate for change then the answer could be as simple as boosting your metabolism.
When your metabolism is increased you will be able to burn more calories and in theory start to lose both weight and fat.
How does your age affect metabolism?
As we age our metabolism will slow. For an adult every 10 years we live our metabolism will fall by 7-10%.
When we age our muscle mass will also decrease, which also has an affect on the metabolism.
The more muscle you have the better your metabolism, which is why men usually have a much better metabolism than women.
How to boost your metabolism?
The following simple tips can help to boost your metabolism:
- Eat smaller food portions throughout the day
- Your diet should be made up of protein, with very little animal fat or plain carbohydrates
- A good healthy breakfast should be eaten every day
- Drink plenty of water to help flush away toxins
Exercise will boost your metabolism
If you work a sedentary job then you will not be getting much exercise or burning many calories during your work day.
To lose weight you need to get moving. Join the gym or do some home workout, just don’t come home to sit in front of the television.
Just 30 minutes of intense exercise 3-4 times a week will get your metabolism burning and will set you on the road to a slimmer and healthier new you.
Your diet is important too
Your diet is also important if your metabolism is sluggish. There are even certain foods that have been proven to boost your metabolism.
Here are some foods that can help to raise your metabolic rate:
- Lean protein rich meat such as chicken or turkey.
- Egg whites.
- Oily see fish such as salmon, trout or mackerel as they contain omega 3 and other beneficial nutrients shown to help the metabolism.
- Red chilli peppers contain Capsicum shown to boost the metabolic rate.
- Certain spices like cinnamon or curry.
- Green tea.
- Coffee as it is a natural stimulant so will increase your heart rate and metabolism.
- Add a little lemon to water for a quick metabolism boost.
- Apples, pineapples, kiwi, broccoli, spinach.
- Seaweed and sea food.
Simple dietary and activity changes can make a big difference to your metabolic rate. Just make sure you stick to them so that the weight actually stays off.
Once you slip back into your old habits of junk food and takeaways the weight will soon creep back on, which will increase your risk of suffering numerous health problems.
Keep your metabolism raised and keep the weight off long term.