In a report commissioned by the entertainment TV channel Dave, it has been discovered that laughing could help to burn up to 120 calories per hour, which means that watching your favourite comedy film or TV show could help with your weight loss efforts.
According to the report, laughing can help to improve your cardiovascular health, increase your heart rate and help with weight loss. The report has also discovered that laughing could activate your internal obliques more than performing stomach crunches.
What type of laugh burnt most calories?
In the report Dr Helen Pilcher and Timandra Harkness from the Comedy Research Project, categorised the different types of laughter, before estimating how many calories they could potentially burn.
These 5 types of laughter were as follows:
1. The Howler: This is uncontrollable laughter that could potentially burn up to 120 calories per hour.
2. The Belly Buster: Hearty belly laughs that can burn up to 100 calories an hour.
3. The Giggle: Giggling can burn up to 33 calories every hour.
4. The Chuckle: Up to 20 calories burnt hourly.
5. The Snigger Sniggering: 10 calories burnt per hour.
Is it possible to laugh yourself slim?
As well as the physical benefits of laughter (activated obliques for example), laughter can also help to release ‘feel-good’ endorphins that can help to reduce stress levels.
When you are stressed your body will release more of the hormone cortisol, which will cause you to suffer more food cravings than normal.
Excess cortisol will also make you more prone to fat storage too.
By reducing stress, the levels of cortisol will remain low so you will be less inclined to snack and shouldn’t store as much fat either.
Which TV shows burnt the most calories?
During the report the team looked at a number of comedy shows too, to see which would cause the most calories to be burnt.
They achieved the list by looking to see what type laughter was generated and for what length duration during the show.
The list was as follows:
- Taskmaster – 42.9 calories / hour
- Room 101 – 40.3 calories / hour
- QIXL – 35.5 calories / hour
- Mock the Week – 31.8 calories / hour
- Not Going Out – 28.2 calories / hour
So, there you have it. You can lose weight while you enjoy yourself. It is possible to laugh yourself slim, so make an effort each day to have some fun.